Everyone knows that to have a balanced diet, you need to eat your vegetables every single day. However, this can be difficult for many people on the go, especially if you don’t like eating vegetables. In recent years, however, Super Greens have come to the market to help with this problem.
Super Greens Powder is a supplement that consists of a variety of vegetables that have been dried, ground into a powdered state, and often combined with probiotics and digestive enzymes. They’ll usually include wheatgrass, spirulina, chlorella, kale, spinach, broccoli, and many others.
Let’s take a closer look at what these Super Greens Powders are exactly.
What Exactly Are Super Greens Powders?
Super Greens Powders are a combination of various greens mixed with a liquid into a shake or drink.
The ingredients for these powders will vary, but the most common vegetables that can be found in them are wheatgrass, spirulina (algae), chlorella, kale, kelp, pineapple, beets, ginseng, and green tea extract.
Other ingredients can also include spinach, broccoli, apple fiber, carrot, Siberian Ginseng, Fruit Extracts, and Stevia Leaf.
Many of them will carry probiotics and digestive enzymes to help improve an already healthy diet.
To work effectively, these powders need to have the regular vitamins and minerals you might find in a regular supplement. So, it’s important to read the labels before consuming them.
It’s also important to remember that these powders shouldn’t be used as a substitute for your daily intake of vegetables. These supplements should be used to maintain your current diet and boost the nutrients you’re already getting.
Types of Super Greens
There is a wide variety of greens that can be used found in these powders. Here is a list of some of the more commonly found greens:
- Leafy Greens: Spinach, Kale, Collards, Parsley
- Seaweed: Spirulina, Chlorella, Dulse, Kelp
- Other Vegetables: Broccoli, Beets, Carrots, Tomatoes, Green Cabbage
- Grasses: Barley Grass, Wheatgrass, Oat Grass, Alfalfa Grass
- High-Antioxidant Fruits: Blueberries, Raspberries, Goji, And Acai Berries
- Nutritional Extracts: Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Extract
- Probiotics: Lactobacillus (L.) Rhamnosus, Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Lactis
- Plant-Based Digestive Enzymes: Amylase, Cellulase, Lipase, Papain, Protease
- Herbs: Holy Basil, Astragalus, Echinacea, Milk Thistle
- Mushrooms: Maitake Mushroom Extract, Shiitake Mushroom Extract
- Natural Sugar Substitutes: Stevia Leaf Extract, Monk Fruit Extract
- Extra Fiber: Rice Bran, Inulin, Apple Fiber
Not all of the Super Greens Powders out there will have all of these ingredients.
There are some you can purchase that have only six ingredients, while others have over 20. It will mostly depend on the brand, but also the goal of the supplement.
There are some Super Greens Powders available for weight loss or protein, which could be used for athletes.
Do We Really Need Them?
Nothing will truly replace the need for having whole fruits and vegetables, but these Super Greens Powders can be a helpful additive to an already balanced diet.
The reason these supplements shouldn’t take the place of whole fruits and veggies is simply that not all brands will have the right mixture of essential vitamins and minerals.
This means they may not give your body exactly what it needs, whereas your daily intake of whole veggies can.
Always make sure to read the label of the powder you’re getting to ensure it has the right vitamins and minerals you need for your body type.
Even though they shouldn’t be used to replace your veggies, many feel that using these supplements can help keep them on track, especially if they are away from home for work or vacation.
There are many benefits to taking these powders, and they can definitely help support a healthier lifestyle.
The Benefits of Super Greens Powders
The benefits of super greens can be numerous, but here are just some of the many ways that super greens can help maintain a healthy lifestyle.
One of the biggest benefits is that these super greens provide essential digestive enzymes that help promote healthy intestinal bacteria.
The research is still being done to determine exactly what the full benefits are. However, studies have found that improving the natural enzymes found in your body will help you digest your food better.
There are bacteria in your gut that help break down the food you ingest. This is good bacteria that break down the fats, proteins, and carbohydrates in your food.
Many diseases benefit from having balanced, good bacteria in your gut. Things like Celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and many others show improvement when there is an ample supply of digestive enzymes in the body.
In fact, these essential digestive enzymes protect against the malabsorption that some of these digestive diseases cause. Without them, it leads to slow digestion, which can cause bloating, gas, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea.
Promotes Weight Loss
The great thing about Super Greens Powders is that they make for a perfect snack between your meals. They are typically low-calorie, and because they are packed with so many nutrients, it ensures that you will burn off the calories as energy instead of storing it as fat.
Also, they usually include a high level of fiber. Fiber will work with your metabolism to make it more active, which is important to burn off excess fat that your body doesn’t need.
Fiber alone is unlikely to do much to achieve your weight loss goals but can help if added to an already balanced diet.
Helps with Bloating, Gas and Toxic Build-Up
Super Greens Powders are typically full of probiotics, which work to relieve bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, and other uncomfortable side effects of digestive problems.
Some studies even show that these probiotics can help those with IBS.
It all goes back to having healthy gut bacteria. If your good bacteria aren’t balanced, it can cause a variety of issues.
Stimulates Muscle Growth
Having muscle tissue helps keep your metabolism up, which will also assist in losing weight.
However, as with anything, the Super Greens Powders won’t work without exercise, but it can help if you use a protein-heavy, super greens powder as a pre-workout or a post-workout snack.
The super greens that make up these powders are excellent sources for protein. In fact, one of the most common greens is spirulina. This algae grows in both a freshwater and saltwater environment and is especially rich in protein and provides its essential amino acids in proper ratios.
Can Improve Your Energy Levels
Super Greens Powders don’t have many calories, so they won’t supply you with increased energy. However, many of them have components that can improve the energy you have by making you more alert.
Some powders have ingredients such as green tea extract, which contains caffeine. This can boost the energy you already have.
It isn’t known yet if taking a super greens powder that doesn’t contain green tea extract will improve or boost your energy levels.
They’re a Possible Anti-Inflammatory
Inflammation is a way for our bodies to protect themselves from illness and disease. Some diseases that see signs of chronic inflammation are diabetes, arthritis, and heart disease, among others.
Spirulina, commonly found in most Super Greens Powders, is high in antioxidants that work as an anti-inflammatory. One of its most active compounds is Phycocyanin, which is a powerful antioxidant.
In addition to spirulina, kale is another super green that is packed with flavonoids, vitamin K, and omega-3 fatty acids, all great anti-inflammatories.
Potentially Helps Arthritis
Some studies believe that super greens can help keep your cholesterol low and reduce your arthritis symptoms. It won’t eradicate your arthritis, but it can potentially improve the health problems associated with it.
One of the most common ingredients of Super Greens Powders is chlorophyll, which can help lower the pH levels in your body.
This works to make the body more alkaline and reduces your acidity. This is helpful because both of those can be associated with arthritis.
Good for a Healthy Heart
A diet high in antioxidants can help reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke, among other things.
It’s the antioxidants and flavonoids that have the potential to decrease your risk. Super greens that are high in antioxidants are broccoli, spinach, and kale. Green tea is also high in antioxidants.
When choosing a powder that will help decrease your risk of heart disease, look at the label, and make sure they contain some or all of these super greens.
Even though these powders can help relieve your risk, they are not a cure for heart disease, and you should always consult your doctor when you are thinking of adding anything new to your diet if you have a heart problem.
Potentially Reduces Blood Pressure and Hypertension
High blood pressure or Hypertension is determined by the amount of blood your heart pumps and the amount of resistance to blood flow through your arteries.
Those who suffer from high blood pressure can go years without any symptoms but when symptoms show, it can be very serious. You can help reduce your risk of hypertension by maintaining a healthy and balanced diet.
This can include using a Super Greens Powder. You shouldn’t try to use these powders as a cure if you do have high blood pressure.
However, looking for a Super Greens Powder that is high in fiber, potassium, and magnesium can help keep your blood pressure and could potentially prevent issues with hypertension.
Always talk to your doctor when adding anything to your diet if you do currently suffer from high blood pressure.
Levels Blood Sugar
It’s been known that the nutrients in super greens can stabilize the blood glucose levels in the body. It will also increase the alkalinity in your system. These are both important for those with low and high blood sugar levels.
What is important is the chlorophyll that can be found in the plant-based ingredients of the Super Greens Powders. This helps to clean and detox the cells in your body of the acidity and toxins.
Not as popular, but still considered a super green, is moringa. This plant is native to India as well as Asia. It’s been used for years for the many vitamins and minerals it contains, such as vitamin A, B vitamins, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, and others.
If you suffer from depression caused by nutrient deficiencies, moringa can help. Because of its high levels of nutrients, it can boost your mood and energy levels that can be symptoms of depression.
As with all things, it is suggested that you speak to your doctor before using any supplements for your depression. There isn’t enough research or evidence to suggest that this is a cure for depression.
When Should You Use Them?
It’s recommended that you take your super greens powder in the morning on an empty stomach. This will fill your body with the nutrients you need for the day and boost your energy.
They also make good snacks for between meals if you feel like you’re getting hungry again too soon. It will fill you up and keep you from snacking on something less healthy throughout the day.
Ways to Incorporate Super Greens Powders Into Your Diet
One of the great things about these powders is that you can incorporate them into your diet in different ways. Some use smoothies and drinks, but others will cook with it.
There are many recipes on the internet that are available to people interested in using these powders. It’s common for people to add these Super Greens Powders into water, juice, and milk (or milk alternatives such as coconut milk).
For those who don’t like smoothies or can’t stomach the powder’s grassy taste, there are other options you can use.
You can add them to scrambled eggs, an omelet, or soup; sprinkle them over roasted vegetables, or mix them into homemade salad dressing or a vegetable dip.
However, keep in mind that heating the powders can greatly diminish the effectiveness of some powders’ compounds. This is true for probiotics and vitamin C.
Places to Buy Super Greens Powders
You’ve decided to include Super Greens Powders into your diet. Your next question might be where you can find the best powders for your needs.
You can find these products online or in stores. Amazon sells most products that you might be looking for, but you can also check with your local vitamin shops such as GNC or The Vitamin Shoppe.
You can also search your local Walmart or Target for these supplements and your local health food store, such as Whole Foods. Though it isn’t guaranteed that you will find it in those locations.
Top 5 Super Greens Powders
With so many choices to pick from, it can be overwhelming to decide which super greens powder to buy. Below is a list of the top five choices.
1. SuperGreen TONIK Shake
SuperGreen TONIK is our #1 recommended Super Greens powder. It’s more than just a healthy Super Green shake.
This company prides themselves on the fact that their product aids consumers in things such as combating stress and anxiety, as well as building a stronger immune system.
Their delicious powdered formula also makes it quick and easy to mix it up with your drink of choice, which will keep you full and satisfied throughout the day.
With this shake being only 40 calories per serving, it’s ideal to pair this with another healthy option in order to consume the necessary number of calories to constitute a full meal.
SuperGreen TONIK also tastes amazing. It has a minty flavor. Whereas, many Super Green powders normally have an earthy taste to it.
Something that sets SuperGreen TONIK apart from other green shakes is that it doesn’t hide the ingredient amount placed in it as a proprietary blend, thus allowing you to fully know what you are getting.
The SuperGreen TONIK includes the following ingredients:
- Leafy Green Blend: 2,000mg of Organic Spirulina powder, 2,000mg of Organic Kale powder, 1,000mg of Organic Spinach powder, 1,000mg of Barley Grass, 1,000mg of Organic Chlorella, 500 mg of Organic Moringa Oleifera
- Brain Blend (Nootropic Blend): 500mg of Ashwagandha Root Extract, 300mg of Bacopa Monnieri, 300mg of Rhodiola Rosea, 250mg of L-Theanine, 240mg of Gingko Biloba, and 200mg of L-Tyrosine
- Immune Blend: 500mg of Dandelion leaf extract, 250mg of Garlic extract, and 250mg of Olive leaf extract
- Additional vitamins: Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D, E, K, Selenium, Copper, Niacin, Zinc, Manganese, Black Pepper Extract, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, and Folate/Folic Acid
- Sweetener: 100mg of Stevia Leaf Extract
Take note of the Brain Blend mentioned above… This Blend is placed into the ingredients to help you with your memory and focus.
Plus, SuperGreen TONIK has been found to help people sleep better, increase energy levels, improve focus, relieve anxiety, and boost immunity.
With a Full 1 Year Money Back Guarantee, you can rest easy knowing that you are buying a high-quality product that the company fully stands behind.
- 3 grams of protein per serving
- Formulated with 15 different superfoods
- No soy or dairy
- Powerful apoptogenic herbs help fight stress and anxiety
- Strengthens immune system
- Boosts energy and supports natural weight loss
- Helps with memory and focus
- Gives you more energy
2. MacroLife Naturals Macro Greens Superfood
Macro Greens Superfood is another Super Greens Powder that is making waves in the Green Industry. While not offering the complete details of it’s ingredients like SuperGreen TONIK, it does have a surprising list of superfoods.
Here are just some of the ingredients that Macro Greens has to offer:
- Spirulina: Abundant amino acid content delivers sustained energy, and a potent source of Beta Carotene.
- Grape Seed Extract: Rich in Bioflavanoids and Proanthocyanidins. These free radical fighters help to protect and strengthen connective tissue, and improve elasticity of the skin by stabilizing collagen and elastin.
- Aloe Vera: Addresses gastrointestinal issues: assists digestion, bowel and colon health and also addresses concerns with stomach acids.
- Chlorella: The synergistic effect of the many nutrients contained in chlorella help to balance and stabilize the body’s processes at the cellular level.
- Non-dairy Probiotic Culture: Macro Greens contains 18 billion healthy non-dairy acidophilus cultures per serving to help digest food and aid the absorption of vitamins and minerals.
- Healthy Herbs: Ginger, red raspberry, parsley and horsetail have been added in addition to normal adaptogens to balance hormones and improve digestion.
Macro Greens Superfood is a delicious shake as well that offers: 40 calories, 1 gram fiber, and 1 gram of protein.
- Contains NO kelp, bee pollen, garlic, onion, MSG, GMO’s, yeast, egg, or artificial coloring.
- 100% FREE OF alcohol, preservatives, flavoring, salt, starch, maltodextrin, wheat, gluten, corn, stabilizers, pesticides, herbicides or dairy animal products.
- Nourishes the body with antioxidants, co-nutrients, enzymes, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- Contains 5+ servings of fruits and vegetables
- Promotes gentle daily cleansing
3. Garden of Life Perfect Food Green Superfood
This super greens powder features all of the things you’re looking for in your supplement. It includes 34 raw kinds of grass that are dried within an hour of being harvested.
It also offers live probiotics and enzymes to help with digestion. You can find antioxidants, amino acids, and so many other phytonutrients in this powder.
Phytonutrients may not be necessary for your health, but they may prevent some diseases.
This powder can help support your immune system and provide you with healthy detoxification. They are gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and made from organic materials.
4. Vibrant Health Green Vibrance
The brand of Green Vibrance has been a trusted brand for over 25 years for the nutritional potency of its products. They use probiotics, enzymes, and adaptogens in their blend as well.
Even though they are non-GMO and they are gluten-free, this powder isn’t soy or dairy-free.
It contains trace amounts of milk and soy, so it’s best to keep this in mind if you are considering purchasing this particular brand.
5. Athletic Greens Ultimate Daily
This supplement is the most expensive on this list, but it has everything you want in a super greens powder.
It offers the usual benefits, but it also has 75 vitamins, minerals, and green ingredients essential to living a healthier lifestyle.
This powder offers probiotics and digestive enzymes as well. A variety of the ingredients are used for their high levels of antioxidants.
The biggest issue that some consumers have had with this product, aside from being expensive, is that the ingredients are blends, so it’s difficult to see just how much of each you’ll be getting. (Not an issue with SuperGreen TONIK listed above.)
A Super Shake with Super Greens & More
Beachbody Shakeology (Whey & Vegan Based formulas)
This shake is at the core of the Beachbody weight loss program. Although used mainly as a meal replacement shake, it’s also a super nutrient shake that has no comparison.
Shakeology comes in a variety of flavors such as vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and café latte. It comes in both whey and vegan based formulas in all of their flavors to suit your preferred dietary needs.
The shakes contain 17g of protein and the calories vary from 140 to 160.
Here’s what makes Shakeology different from any other shake on the market, it offers the following core nutrients:
- Superfruits & Antioxidants
- Prebiotics & Probiotics
- Supergreens & Phytonutrients
- Vitamins & Minerals
Shakeology has even gone through a Clinical Study where the results were published in Current Developments in Nutrition
This study found the following results:
- Shakeology helped participants reduce their desire to eat 58% more than when they tried similar products.
- The Shakeology shake helped participants eat 185 calories fewer calories in their next meal. Additionally, Shakeology reduced hunger by 51% more than a calorie-matched shake.
- The study, which was a double-blind, crossover, placebo-controlled study, surveyed daily Shakeology users. 97% of users believed Shakeology to be a positive investment in their health.
Don’t just take my word for how great Shakeology is, try it out for yourself.
Shakeology offers a Money Back Bottom-of-the-Bag Guarantee where you can reurn your empty Shakeology bag back if you’re not satisfied.
Things to Consider
There is a lot to think about when starting a new supplement. Here is a short list of things to keep in mind.
You want to make sure that when you choose a super greens powder that you choose one you can handle the taste of. There are many powders out there whose taste can really turn a person’s stomach.
If you can’t handle the taste, it’s unlikely you’ll want to keep drinking it long enough to see the long-term health benefits.
Make sure that whichever powder you choose is one that doesn’t make you want to throw it back up.
Fillers and Additives
Many companies will add sugary fillers to mask the tastes of the super greens. This will definitely help if you aren’t looking to use the greens to supplement your vegetable intake.
However, if you are looking to fully use the Super Greens Powders to their fullest nutritional potential, you’ll want to make sure you find one that isn’t full of fillers or artificial sweeteners.
Pesticides and Chemicals
Any pesticides or chemicals on the greens will most likely be present in the powder. If they are present when the greens are dried and ground up, the chemicals will also be more concentrated.
It’s important to ensure that whatever powder you get is free of these dangerous chemicals.
Higher Estrogen Levels
There are several common ingredients in Super Greens Powders that can actually increase estrogen levels in men. This can be a problem for a lot of men.
Ingredients like flaxseed or flaxseed oil can decrease the testosterone in men and increase their estrogen. This can also lower their libido.
This can cause a variety of health concerns if men aren’t aware of this potential side effect before taking the super greens powder.
This is why it’s always important to talk to your doctor or a nutritionist before introducing any new supplements.
Ask a Nutritionist or Dietitian
If you are ever in any doubt about whether a super greens powder is right for you, or if you are trying to find the right one, ask a nutritionist.
It’s always wise to get a professional nutritionist involved whenever you are planning to make big changes to your diet or body.
That’s everything you need to know about what Super Greens Powders are and the health benefits that come with them. You’re all set to start making your own shakes or smoothies to move toward a healthier life.
- US News: What Are Greens Powders – and Do You Need Them?
- Very Well Fit: The 7 Best Greens Powders of 2020
- WebMD: Phytonutrients
- Bar Bend: Best Green Superfood Powder Reviews – Top Picks of Greens Drinks of 2020
- AFPA Fitness: The 3 Most Popular Super Greens and Why You Should Include Them in Your Diet
- National Library of Medicine: In Vitro and in Vivo Antioxidant Properties of the Plant-Based Supplement greens+™
- National Library of Medicine: Plant Based Dietary Supplement Increases Urinary pH
- Healthline: Super Greens: Are Greens Powders Healthy?
- Very Well Health: The Health Benefits of Digestive Enzymes
- National Library of Medicine: Systematic Review: Probiotics in the Management of Lower Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Clinical Practice — An Evidence-Based International Guide
- The GI Connection: What’s So Super about Supergreens?
- Average 2 Alpha: 4 Ways 99.9% of Greens Supplements Increase Estrogen
- St Johns: Top 20 Foods High In Antioxidants
- Medical News Today: What are superfoods and why should you eat them?
- Humann: Health Benefits of Greens Supplements: Are they Worth the Hype?
- Healthline: 10 Health Benefits of Spirulina
- Root’d: Our Top 5 Super Greens, Their Benefits, and Why Root’d Uses Them
- Water for Health: How Super Green Powders Can Contribute to Weight Loss
- Bodybuilding: Everything You Need To Know About Greens Supplements
- Legendary Life: Super Greens: Are Greens Powders Healthy Or Just Hype?
- Healthline: Super Greens: Are Greens Powders Healthy?
- Mayo Clinic: High Blood Pressure
- Good Net: 9 Superfoods that help lower your blood pressure
- Current Development in Nutrition: Effect of a High-Protein, High-Fiber Beverage Preload…