Designed by Beachbody, the company that is responsible for the at-home workout streaming service, Beachbody On Demand — in addition to nutritional body cleanse programs such as the Beachbody Ultimate Reset — the 3-Day Refresh program is a fast-track weight loss program that does not require participants to fast or deny their body of solid meals.
3-Day Refresh is a weight loss program designed to last for three days, which focuses on good nutrition without fasting or the sensation of not being full and aims to provide a path toward fast weight loss and improved digestion, all while leaving the body feeling lighter and healthier.
Fast-track weight loss programs can be found in abundance online. However, most require skipping meals or eating food that is less than agreeable to most palettes.
Can a fast weight loss program like 3-Day Refresh cleanse offer you the weight loss results you want while keeping you satisfied and free of cravings? Read on and judge for yourself in this 3 Day Refresh review.
Overview of the Beachbody 3-Day Refresh Program
As its name implies, the 3-Day Refresh is a weight loss program designed to be followed for three days that allows your body to shed weight quickly.
This weight loss program can also be described as a cleanse because you will not be eating many solids during theses 3 days.
The primary differentiating factor between this quick weight loss program and others on the market is that it is not based on an all-liquid diet — nor is it based on fasting.
The 3-Day Refresh takes an approach that recognizes the value of satiety. This is the sensation of satisfaction that you experience when you feel full. It is what helps you to avoid cravings and cheating on your meal plan.
If you have ever been on a diet that had you constantly feeling hungry, you know firsthand how that begins to dominate your mind and overcomes your willpower to stay on a diet.
It’s therefore very important to have a feeling of satiety if you’re going to excel with your weight loss goals.
Key Components of the Beachbody 3-Day Refresh Cleanse
- You do not give up food. The program has you eating one healthy dinner per day in addition to up to six healthy snacks.
- It eliminates cravings by being mindful of flavor. The solid meal and the liquid portion of the program are both tasty and never bland. This is key to being satisfied and avoiding unhealthy cravings.
- Uncomplicated meal preparation. The majority of what you will consume during the three days comes in the kit that is included with the program. You only need to add some very basic ingredients easily sourced from your pantry or grocery store to have all of your meals covered.
- It is very low in calories. Each day, your caloric intake will be approximately 900 calories.
- It does not deny your body of proteins. The program includes healthy plant-based proteins. Your body is not denied the proteins it needs. This means that you will not be short of the amino acids your body needs for cellular repair.
- Nutritionally balanced. Not only does the program meet your daily protein requirements, but it also provides you with the full range of nutrients required to stay healthy.
- It fills you without bloating. The carefully balanced supplements in the program’s kit, coupled with the selection of ingredients for your meals, were chosen by Beachbody to provide you with healthy fiber to fill and satisfy you. Since they are also conducive to proper digestion, most individuals will not feel bloated.
- Designed to give you energy. By ensuring that all of your nutritional requirements are met, the 3-Day Refresh never leaves you feeling low on energy. Your blood sugar levels will not fluctuate throughout the day. You will not feel lethargic. You will have that energized feeling constantly from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep.
- You will not feel left out at mealtime. Most people eat meals in the company of others. Fasting- and liquid-based diets deny you the opportunity to continue with your established mealtime routines. With the 3-Day Refresh, you can sit and enjoy a satisfying meal or snack while others eat their regular meals.
- It prepares you for a healthier lifestyle. Eating according to the plan laid out by the program, your body and mind will start to become accustomed to healthier eating habits. It can serve as a good stepping stone for healthier choices after you finish the program. The program includes a maintenance guide to assist you with this.
How Much Weight Will I Lose on the 3-Day Refresh?
As with any weight loss program, results will vary. Pre-existing factors, such as your current fitness level, age, weight, metabolic rate, etc., all come into play in determining how much weight you will lose on the 3-Day Refresh.
The developer of the program states in their FAQ section that the average weight loss of participants is 3 pounds (1.4 kgs).
The program description page on the Beachbody website includes Beachbody 3-Day Refresh before and after pictures, along with testimonials of participants who lost 5 to 8 pounds (2.3 to 3.6 kgs) during the three days that they were on the program.
In analyzing comments from participants of the program found on dieting forums and other 3-Day Refresh reviews, the majority indicate that their weight loss was what Beachbody states. There is also a significant minority that indicates that they lost 5 pounds (2.3 kgs) or more.
Cases and commentary that were indicative of weight loss figures that were well below what was named as “average” by Beachbody were few. They constituted less than 10 percent of the dozens of cases examined.
One thing to keep in mind about your expectations while on the 3-Day Refresh is that — especially because it runs for only 72 hours — strict adherence to the program is an absolute necessity to obtain the maximum results from it.
What Is Included in the 3-Day Refresh Kit?
The 3-Day Refresh program comes packaged with everything you need to get started in a single kit. This is called the “3-Day Refresh Complete Kit.” It includes:
- Shakeology supplement shake mix. These shakes are meant to serve as your breakfast for each of the three days. They are formulated from superfoods and contain a blend of nutrients selected to keep your energy levels high.
- Vanilla Fresh supplement shakes. This is a protein-rich shake that is formulated with 24 vitamins and minerals. It also contains plant-based omega-3s. The presence of fiber, along with probiotics, helps fill you while also contributing to your digestive health.
- Fiber Sweep drink. This is meant as your midday snack. It serves the purpose of filling you while also aiding your digestive system to eliminate waste. It comprises a proprietary blend of ground psyllium seed husks and flax.
- A program guide. This is a booklet that explains how the program works step-by-step. It contains a meal planner section where you will find recipes for easy to prepare meal options, a list of allowed vegetables and fruits, and recipes for fruit juices.
- Maintenance guide. This manual contains information and tools that will help you keep the weight off after you finish the program. It assists you with calorie targets and portion control when you are off the program.
- 3-Day Refresh Yoga routines. Available to Beachbody On Demand members, this set of yoga routines consists of mild exercises and guided meditations. The program was developed specifically to enhance your 3-Day Refresh experience.
Point of Contention With the 3-Day Refresh Yoga Segment
The selection and dynamic of the yoga routines that comprise the 3-Day Refresh Yoga program appear to be very well done.
Those who have followed them rate them highly. In terms of production quality and enthusiasm, they are on par with what you would expect from any workout program hosted on Beachbody On Demand.
Unfortunately, unless you have a Beachbody On Demand membership, you will not be able to access the routines. If you read the details of the 3-Day Refresh program carefully, this is made clear.
However, it can be easily overlooked by those purchasing the 3-Day Refresh kit. This can then create a false expectation regarding access to the yoga routines.
CHECK OUT THE 3 DAY REFRESH KIT OPTIONS HERE
What Are the 3-Day Refresh Ingredients?
Here is a breakdown of each of the three supplements that are found in the 3-Day Refresh kit.
Shakeology is best known as a stand-alone nutritional supplement offered by Beachbody. It is a powdered shake mix and is available in a variety of flavors.
Whey Based Shakeology Flavors:
- Chocolate (released 2009)
- Vanilla (released 2013)
- Café Latte (released 2016)
- Strawberry (released 2013)
- Greenberry (released 2009)
Plant Based Vegan Shakeology Flavors:
- Chocolate (released 2010)
- Vanilla (released 2010)
- Café Latte (released 2017)
- Tropical Strawberry (released 2010)
You can use either of these Shakeology formulas (Whey or Plant Based) as part of your 3-Day Refresh. However, the developers of the program strongly recommend the vegan version.
Each serving of Shakeology contains 160 calories. Its base ingredients are:
- Dietary fiber
- Vitamin C
- 18 amino acids
It contains a collection of proprietary blends.
Shakeology Proprietary Protein Blend
Shakeology Proprietary Super-Fruit/Antioxidant Blend
Antioxidants help your body eradicate free radicals. These are molecules that can cause oxidative stress that can impair or damage your cells and tissues.
- Whole coffee fruit
- Acerola cherry
- Goji berry
- Luo Han Guo
Shakeology Proprietary Adaptogen Blend
Adaptogens help your body stabilize its physiological processes. It helps you to reach a stage of homeostasis. In simpler terms, it helps your body to run like a well-tuned machine.
Shakeology Proprietary Pre- and Probiotic Digestive Enzyme Blend
Probiotics are the healthy bacteria that reside in your digestive tract and contribute to healthy and optimal digestion.
Prebiotics are a fiber that these healthy microorganisms use as food to thrive in your system.
- Yacon root
- Chicory root
- Bacillus coagulans
Is Beachbody Shakeology Mandatory With the 3-Day Refresh?
The developer of the 3-Day Refresh recommends that the Vegan Shakeology mix be used for you to benefit the most from the program.
However, just as the program allows for the whey-base Shakeology to be used, it also allows for Shakeology to be substituted with one of the following options:
- One egg and ¾ cup (96 grams) of berries.
- Six ounces (177 ml) of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt combined with ½ cup of berries.
- A small apple accompanied by 2 tbsp (28.3 grams) of unsweetened almond butter.
- ½ cup (64 grams) of grilled tempeh.
Similar to Shakeology, Vanilla Fresh is a powdered shake mix. It is protein and fiber-rich. This is what makes it well-suited for the role of a snack substitute and satisfies cravings in between meals.
Each serving contains 200 calories along with 20 grams (0.71 ounces) of plant-based protein and 6 grams (0.21 ounces) of dietary fiber.
The ingredients in Vanilla Fresh include:
- Vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E, and K1
- Folic acid
- Pantothenic acid
Formulated to help cleanse your digestive system — a step that the developer of the 3-Day Refresh describes as being essential to the whole program — Fiber Sweep contains a proprietary blend of psyllium husk powder, flaxseed, and chia.
Each serving contains 60 calories and has 0.5 grams of monounsaturated fat and 2 grams of polyunsaturated fat. Both of these are considered to be healthy fats. They come from plants and help to lower cholesterol while also contributing to cellular health.
What You Won’t Find in 3-Day Refresh Supplements
As important as it is to analyze what ingredients are contained in the supplements that accompany a weight loss program — so is mentioning what ingredients are not present in the 3-Day Refresh kit.
3-Day Refresh products do not contain any artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, or sweeteners. Likewise, it is free of synthetic steroids and caffeine
The sweetener used in the 3-Day Refresh supplements is Stevia. Being non-caloric and sourced from the plant of the same name, Stevia makes for a logical choice in sweetening supplements intended for use in a speedy weight loss program.
The only issue that some people may experience with Stevia comes in terms of taste. The majority of people do not experience any aftertaste with Stevia. However, a minority of people do.
The sweetener interacts with both the bitter and sweet taste receptors in your tongue and mouth. This results in some people detecting a bitter aftertaste when consuming Stevia-sweetened products.
While only a few instances of this aftertaste issue can be found in comments from people who have undergone the 3-Day Refresh program, it still merits mentioning and should be a subject for consideration if you know that you are Stevia taste-sensitive.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE 3 DAY REFRESH INGREDIENTS HERE
What Can You Eat on 3-Day Refresh Beachbody Cleanse?
As has already been broken down, the breakfast, snack, and meal supplement portion of your 3-Day Refresh diet are in the form of the supplement packets included in the program’s kit.
The solid meal that you will be eating each day for dinner consists of one that you can prepare following the program’s comprehensive guide. In the guide, you are provided with meal suggestions and grocery lists to make food selection an error-free process.
Among the list of authorized foods are:
- Bell peppers
- Green beans
- Organic vegetable broth
3-Day Refresh also encourages the use of flavor enhancers to make your sold meal tasty and in line with your personal preferences. Among the authorized flavor enhancers you will find:
- Sunflower seeds
- Olive oil
The options that you are presented with for your solid meal preparation under the 3-Day Refresh program are quite extensive. This is a major selling point of the program.
It should be stressed, however, that you must always follow the official program guide.
There are many dieter blogs online published by individuals touting recipes for the 3-Day Refresh. Some of these sources make food selection recommendations that do not conform to the program.
It is best to stick to the official guide for all of your ingredient selection and meal preparation questions.
3-Day Refresh and Working Out
The 3-Day Refresh Yoga routines, notwithstanding the program, do not include a physical exercise component. The yoga section is offered more as a way to relieve the stress or anxiety that some individuals may experience when undertaking a fast weight loss regimen.
It is not an integral component of what brings about weight loss. That is why it is seen as optional.
When it comes to physical workouts, Beachbody recommends that you do not engage in such activity during the program. The reason for this is that 3-Day Refresh is considered a restricted-calorie eating program.
While it provides you with all of the nutrients you need to stay healthy and to promote weight loss for the three days, it is not designed to sustain your body when prolonged physical exertion is involved.
For those individuals who insist on exercising during the 3-Day Refresh, the developers of the program recommend that you limit your workouts to mild levels and that you stop extreme workouts altogether.
It is further recommended that you tone down or stop your workouts two to three days before starting with the 3-Day Refresh.
Likewise, you should not resume your normal workouts until two to three days after finishing with 3-Day Refresh.
Beachbody 3 Day Shakeology Cleanse: History
Here’s a small history lesson about how the 3 Day Refresh came to be.
Before Beachbody created the 3 Day Refresh, Beachbody Coaches decided to create their own cleanse with Shakeology; called the Beachbody 3 Day Shakeology Cleanse.
However, this was way back in 2010, around the time when Shakeology was first introduced to the public.
The 3 Day Shakeology Cleanse had no science behind it and relied heavily on drinking Shakeology 3 times a day and a light meal during dinner.
When Beachbody discovered the people’s desire for a short-term cleanse and saw that Shakeology was being misused as a cleanse, they decided to step in and see what they can do.
Thus, Beachbody created the 3 Day Refresh as an answer to people’s need for a quick and short-term cleanse that is backed by research and is nutritional sound.
Not long after creating the 3 Day Refresh, Beachbody decided to step it up even further by creating an even more detailed cleanse and detox program called the Ultimate Reset.
The Beachbody Ultimate Reset cleanse is a 21 day, 3 phase program aimed at fully detoxifying your body with nutritional supplements and a largely vegan focused diet. If you’re looking for a challenging cleanse that will greatly improve your health, Read This Beachbody Ultimate Reset Review
How Much Does the 3-Day Refresh Cost?
To start on the 3-Day Refresh, you need to purchase a program kit from the TeamBeachbody website. There are three price points for these kits:
- 3-Day Refresh without Shakeology. $59.95 — This kit includes all of the supplements you need for the three days minus the Shakeology mix that is meant to cover your breakfast. In choosing this option, you have to use one of the home-prepared substitutes for Shakeology.
- 3-Day Refresh Complete Kit. $69.95 — This includes all of the supplements you need for the three days.
- 3-Day Refresh Shakeology Challenge Pack. $140.00 — In addition to all of the supplements that come in the 3-Day Refresh complete kit, this package contains an additional 30-day supply of Shakeology and access to a personal coach.
With either of the three options, you can complete the program.
The Shakeology Challenge pack option is meant for individuals who wish to continue with the nutritional benefits of Shakeology after finishing with the 3-Day Refresh.
It is one of the recommended paths for maintaining the weight loss that was achieved during the initial program.
Additional Costs Associated With 3-Day Refresh
3-Day Refresh is uncomplicated by design. This means that there aren’t any additional requirements for starting and completing the program.
However, it should be noted that the purchase of some base ingredients for the preparation of the solid food dinners may be required.
This will depend on what you currently have in your pantry.
Are There Any Side Effects With the 3-Day Refresh?
The 3-Day Refresh weight loss program involves using nutritional supplements in conjunction with the consumption of a healthy non-meat diet. For the majority of individuals, this will not cause any negative secondary effects.
However, for those who are not accustomed to including fruits and vegetables in their diets regularly or in abundant amounts — as well as those who do not take supplements high in fiber — such a change in eating habits in a short period can result in your body presenting mild reactions.
These are some of the reactionary effects and how to mitigate them.
Mild Gas and Bloating
Beachbody recommends that if your current eating habits include large amounts of meat and animal-based proteins, that you start incorporating leafy vegetables and salads into your regular diet a week in advance of starting the 3-Day Refresh.
This will acclimate your digestive system and prevent gas and bloating.
The way Beachbody describes it, some individuals may feel slight body aches when starting a calorie-restricted diet. Normally this discomfort wanes following the first day of the program.
While increased regularity is by no means a negative — quite to the contrary. The sudden increase in dietary fiber consumption for those not accustomed to it might take them by surprise and is something that should be prepared for before starting the program.
In general, switching to a healthier diet will improve your sleeping patterns and allow your body to recover and rejuvenate itself more efficiently.
However, since the 3-Day Refresh lasts only for 72 hours, it is possible — as with any sudden and radical change in eating habits — for some individuals to experience mild sleep irregularities.
Beachbody says that if these occur, they are short-lived.
In general, it can be fairly surmised that any minor discomforts experienced during the 3-Day Refresh are far outweighed by the benefits that you receive from completing the program.
3-Day Refresh Pros and Cons
No weight loss program is perfect. What is important is that a weight loss program is designed to ensure it delivers the desired results in a way that bolsters your body’s natural weight loss processes while also keeping you healthy. 3-Day Refresh accomplishes this quite effectively.
Here are the distinguishing pros and cons of the 3-Day Refresh.
3-Day Refresh Pros
- Uncomplicated. It is as simple as taking the supplements that come in a kit and preparing one meal a day for three days.
- Allows you to eat solid meals. The inclusion of solid food makes it superior to weight loss programs that require all-liquid diets or fasting.
- Relies on plant-based proteins, fiber, and nutrients. The supplements in the program are formulated from plant-based sources and help improve your digestion and maximize your weight loss processes.
- Affordable. Comparable, if not, more affordable than other competing weight loss programs of equal duration.
- Participants lose 3 pounds on average when completing the program. Decent results in a very short time.
- Focuses on satiety. When you feel full and satisfied, you are less inclined to cheat on your diet or succumb to unhealthy cravings.
- Does not require physical workouts. No need to schedule exercise blocks into your daily routine.
3-Day Refresh Cons
- May cause minor discomforts for those unaccustomed to plant-based diets. While most of these discomforts can be mitigated by following Beachbody’s recommendations, it is important to know that some individuals may experience them.
- The optional 3-Day Refresh Yoga routines require a Beachbody On Demand membership. Even though the yoga routines are optional and omitting them does not negatively impact your results, it would be nice if access to them did not require a separate paid membership.
- Contains Stevia. For the small minority of individuals who experience a bitter aftertaste with Stevia, this is a factor to consider.
- Requires time for meal preparation. As simple as the program is, you still need to budget in time for preparing the nutritional shakes and the solid food meal.
The 3 Day Refresh cleanse is a very straightforward cleanse that helps you lose weight quickly and start adjusting to eating a healthier diet.
Best of all, this is not a starvation diet like other cleanses where you only drink sugary juices all day.
Instead, the 3 Day Refresh a nutrient dense cleanse that allows your body to feel full throughout the day.
As long as you’re willing to make the commitment for 3 days, you will see amazing results and you will feel amazing as well.
I highly recommend the 3 Day Refresh if you’re looking for a quick way to lose weight, eat healthier, and/or want a healthy way to do a quick cleanse.
CHECK OUT THE 3 DAY REFRESH KITS HERE
Beachbody Ultimate Reset Review
If you’re looking for the best cleanse on the market, check out the Beachbody Ultimate Reset. The Ultimate Reset is a 21 day program that includes several supplements and a complete vegan menu to help you get detoxified. This detox cleanse has even gone through Clinical Studies and has proven to really work! Check out my Ultimate Reset review above.
Ultimate Reset vs 3 Day Refresh
You know you want to cleanse your body of toxins, but which cleanse is really best for you? Here, I compare two amazing cleanses to see which would be the best choice for you. Both are amazing cleanses, however, only one may be the most beneficial for you at this time.
3 Day Refresh vs Shakeology 3 Day Cleanse
The 3 Day Shakeology Cleanse was created mainly by Shakeology customers before the creation of the 3 Day Refresh and the Ultimate Reset. This comparison simply looks to see if the 3 Day Shakeology Cleanse can really hold up against the professionally made 3 Day Refresh. Is the Shakeology Cleanse a good option over the 3 Day Refresh?
- com: Full Liquid Diet
- com: The Full Liquid Diet
- com: Diet Myth or Truth – Fasting Is Effective in Weight Loss
- com: Satiety
- com: The Benefits of Protein
- gov: Protein in Diet
- Beachbody.com: 3-Day Refresh Expectations
- com: 3-Day Refresh Complete Kit
- com: The Facts on Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- com: Everything You Need to Know About Stevia
- com: Here’s What the Stevia Sweetener Really Is
- com: How Can Antioxidants Benefit Our Health?
- Wikipedia: Adaptogen
- Wikipedia: Homeostasis
- Mayo Clinic: Prebiotics, Probiotics, and Your Health
- gov: Facts About Monounsaturated Fats
- com: Try This Easy Meal Prep for 3-Day Refresh