The Beachbody Shakeology shake was first released in 2009 as The Healthiest Meal of the Day. At the time it was a game changer because all other meal replacement shakes only offered protein, fiber, and multivitamins. Shakeology was the first shake to break the norm and include superfood ingredients from around the world.
Since 2009, Shakeology has grown from two flavors to nine different whey and vegan based flavors. With so many flavors, which Shakeology flavor is best? The Chocolate Whey Shakeology flavor is the best tasting, smoothest, and most popular flavor that Beachbody has to offer.
This does not mean the other Shakeology flavors taste horrible. In fact, all Shakeology flavors taste amazing compared to average meal replacement shakes on the market.
This is because Beachbody is working hard to ensure they produce a consistently great tasting shake.
Besides increasing in the number of Shakeology flavors, Beachbody also changed their tagline to Your Daily Dose Of Dense Nutrition and for good reason.
Shakeology by far offers you the most nutrition of any meal replacement on the market. No other shake includes so many different nutrient dense superfoods. Check out my full Shakeology review here
Here are the different Shakeology flavors ranked in order of my personal preference that we will be reviewing today:
- Chocolate Whey Based (released 2009)
- Chocolate Plant Based Vegan (released 2010)
- Café Latte Whey Based (released 2016)
- Café Latte Plant Based Vegan (released 2017)
- Cookies & Creamy Plant-Based Vegan Shakeology (released Aug. 2021)
- Vanilla Whey Based (released 2013)
- Vanilla Plant Based Vegan (released 2010)
- Strawberry Whey Based (released 2013)
- Tropical Strawberry Plant Based Vegan (released 2010)
- Greenberry Whey Based (released 2009, DISCONTINUED Jan. 16, 2020)
Shakeology Flavors Ranked
1. BEST SHAKEOLOGY FLAVOR – Chocolate Whey Flavor
Of all the different Shakeology flavors, the Whey Chocolate Shakeology flavor is the best flavor.
- Texture – Has a smooth and creamy texture when mixed with a blender. You only need to add a little bit of ice. It’s not very thick buy you can add more ice if you want it to be creamier or even add some avocado or bananas.
- Flavor – It’s full of chocolate goodness, which is a lot to say because of how many different superfoods are in Shakeology.
There is one draw back with the Chocolate Whey flavor. You cannot mix the Chocolate Whey with only a spoon. It doesn’t matter how hard or fast you mix it by hand, for some reason all of the powder will not mix together well.
Instead, if you mix this powder by hand, you will end up with extra Chocolate powder on the top in clumps.
If you don’t have a blender handy, you may want to go for the Vegan version instead as it mixes better by hand alone.
2. Chocolate Plant Based Vegan Flavor
Chocolate is definitely a favorite flavor for me and the majority of people. Luckily Beachbody does not disappoint by offering two delicious Chocolate flavors.
- Texture – The Chocolate Vegan Shakeology flavor is not as creamy as the Whey version. It mixes well in the blender and it isn’t grainy like common Vegan shakes on the market. None of the Shakeology Vegan flavors are grainy.
- Flavor – Chocolate flavor is lighter than the Whey version but it’s still there. If you love Chocolate but like it to be light in flavor, then the Vegan version is for you.
The Chocolate Vegan Shakeology flavor also mixes well in water by hand.
3. Café Latte Whey Based Flavor
I’ll be the first to say that I’m not a huge coffee fan. I love the smell but it’s not something I crave or drink on a regular basis.
However, the Café Latte Shakeology shake is a great tasting flavor that I enjoy after the Chocolate flavors. Sometimes I’ve mixed in Café Latte with my Chocolate Shakeology for a little change up.
- Texture – When blended with some ice and water, the Café Latte doesn’t come out very creamy. Instead it’s more like an ice coffee feel to it. It’s very smooth and it’s more like a drink you would buy from your local Starbucks.
- Flavor – If you’re into strong or bold coffee flavor, this isn’t really for you. Café Latte has a nice light coffee flavor. If you need something strong, you may need to add a little coffee of your own to give it an extra boost.
Overall, Café Latte is a nice coffee flavor that I’ve enjoyed drinking.
4. Café Latte Vegan Based Flavor
Much like the Café Latte Whey flavor, the Vegan option is also very well made.
- Texture – Not grainy at all. Easy to mix by hand. Best texture comes if you mix it with a blender.
- Flavor – A nice, light coffee flavor.
A great option for those looking for a whey free coffee-based meal replacement shake.
5. Cookies & Cream Vegan Based Flavor
Cookies & Cream is the first Shakeology flavor to be Certified Gluten Free. All Shakeology flavors will be transitioning to be Gluten Free by the end of 2021. Make sure to look for the Gluten-Free label if this is a concern for you.
Anyways, onto our Shakeology Cookies & Cream review.
Cookies & Cream is very light flavor. Although it’s called Cookies & Cream, don’t really expect it to taste like cookies at all. It’s a nice flavor and not overly sweet, it’s just not cookies and cream like must people will expect.
The easiest comparison of Cookies & Cream is that it has a light flavor like Vanilla with a little Chocolate taste. It’s still a nice flavor that I enjoy over the other Shakeology flavors below. However, the name is a little misleading.
- Texture – Cookies & Cream has a nice smooth flavor. It does not get thick like the Chocolate Whey Shakeology.
- Flavor – While tasting lovely, I hesitate to really call it a Cookies & Cream flavor. It’s not very sweet and may be best compared to Vanilla Shakeology with a hint of chocolate.
6. Vanilla Whey Based Flavor
Again, I’m not a huge fan of vanilla flavored shakes and worse the smell. However, the Vanilla Whey Shakeology flavor was a nice surprise.
It took Beachbody several years to create Vanilla Shakeology because it was difficult to create a fully natural Vanilla shake with all the superfoods in Shakeology.
However, Beachbody found potent Vanilla beans in Madagascar that works perfectly in Shakeology. Vanilla Shakeology is a also a very popular flavor because it’s light and easy to change the flavor with other additional ingredients at home.
- Texture – It’s fairly smooth like the Chocolate Whey Shakeology. It’s easy to mix by hand but I prefer to mix it in a blender that everything gets mixed together well.
- Flavor – It has a light Vanilla flavor. It’s not exactly a vanilla ice cream flavor but it’s a good vanilla flavor.
If you’re into Vanilla shakes, you will not be disappointed with this Shakeology flavor.
7. Vanilla Plant Based Vegan Flavor
The Vegan Vanilla Shakeology flavor is very similar to the Whey version.
- Texture – Vanilla Vegan is smooth and not grainy.
- Flavor – Although Vegan, it holds up it’s Vanilla flavor very well.
If you’re looking for a Vegan Vanilla shake, try this one out.
8. Strawberry Whey Based Flavor
The Strawberry Whey Shakeology flavor is nice but I just didn’t feel like there was enough strawberry in it. It’s still a nice flavor and pretty good.
- Texture – It’s a smooth flavor that can easily be mixed by hand or with a blender.
- Flavor – While tasting like strawberries, I believe it could have been a little stronger in flavor. It’s also not very sweet.
If you’re looking to try a Strawberry flavor, try it out. You can even add some of your own frozen strawberries to give it a little extra strawberry flavor.
9. Tropical Strawberry Plant Based Vegan Flavor
When Vegan Tropical Strawberry first came out, it had a very gritty taste. Fortunately, Beachbody has learned a lot over the years and has greatly improved the smoothness on this shake and many others.
- Texture – It has a smooth texture just like the others above. I would highly recommend you blend it with some ice.
- Flavor – Tropical Strawberry has a very light flavor that allows it to be easily customized with additional healthy ingredients.
Tropical Strawberry is a great option if you want a very light flavor. It’s not overbearing and not very sweet.
10. Greenberry Whey Based Flavor
Update: Greenberry Shakeology was DISCONTINUED Jan. 16, 2020 due to issues sourcing some of the high quality ingredients needed to create Greenberry. Some have missed this flavor, while others not so much. People who used to enjoy Greenberry, are now moving to drinking Vanilla Shakeology as it’s an easy flavor to customize to their liking.
Finally, we come to the Black Sheep of the Shakeology flavors. Greenberry is healthy and tastes ok but it’s not everyone’s favorite.
It neither tastes like a green shake nor does it taste like berries.
- Texture – It’s a smooth texture and mixes well by hand or blender.
- Flavor – It is a sweet flavor that is hard describe. Of all the Shakeology flavors above, Greenberry is the strongest, making it hard to add additional ingredients to change it up.
Again, Greenberry is a healthy shake and was one of Beachbody’s first, so it is a great quality shake. However, Greendberry is very much a love it or hate it kind of flavor.
If you’re into green like shakes, you might be into this one.
What’s the Difference Between Shakeology Whey and Vegan Based Formula
First off, it cannot be said that one Formula is better than the other. All Shakeology formulas were designed to be healthy and include the best superfoods possible.
There are only two key differences between the Whey and Vegan formulas:
- The Vegan formula does not include the Whey protein.
- The Vegan formula does not include a vitamin and mineral blend. This does not mean that the Vegan formula does not contain vitamins and minerals. Instead the Vegan formulas gets those micronutrients from the various super foods added in the shake. Thus, the Vegan Shakeology flavors do have the micronutrients, however, they vary by every batch made because the following will affect what it has: where it’s sourced from, when it was harvested, what the soil was like, and so on.
Outside of the two differences above, all Shakeology flavors have similar levels of superfoods, with slight differences in flavor-specific ingredients.
And yes, ALL Shakeology flavors are the healthiest shake you’ll ever have. It’s only a matter of you choosing which Shakeology flavor you prefer.
Does Shakeology Actually Taste Good?
I have tried all the Shakeology flavors and several meal replacements in the past. I can honestly say that all Shakeology flavors taste better than the majority of meal replacement on the market.
There are even some meal replacements that I had to throw away because..
- The taste was too horrible to stomach, no matter how many different ingredients I placed into it.
- Or, their attempt to include digestive and probiotics was so off that I had constant gas so I had to stop.
The worst part is that these shakes that I had to stop using were highly recommended as Shakeology alternatives.
I had learn the hard way that cheaper so called Shakeology alternatives normally come with horrible side effects.
Now I say, don’t go for imitations that will leave you feeling bad. Simply get the real thing.
If you’re not sure about my opinion, here’s what a Shakeology survey found from 3,000 Shakeology drinkers:
Shakeology is a very impressive shake that is my #1 Recommended Meal Replacement Shake. It has greatly helped me to lose weight and gain back my health.
I’m sure you will not be disappointed by any of the Shakeology flavors. However, if it’s not what you expected, Beachbody does offer the following “Bottom-of-the-Bag” guarantee:
“If you don’t notice a difference in how much better your body feels within the first month of drinking this delicious shake, or if you’re not 100% satisfied for any reason, just return the empty bag within 30 days for a full refund of the purchase price (less s&h).”
You can therefore try Shakeology Risk Free.
If you’re still not sure which Shakeology flavor to buy, no worries, Beachbody offers Shakeology Sampler packs so that you can try each Shakeology flavor for yourself.
Check out all your Shakeology options below:
How Can I Buy Shakeology Cheap?
I wrote a post that shows you the different Shakeology discounts that you can take advantage of. Click Over Here => How to Buy Shakeology Cheap | Best Shakeology Price Cuts
How do I order Shakeology in Canada?
You can order Shakeology in Canada here
How do I order Shakeology in the United Kingdom?
You can order Shakeology in the United Kingdom here
How do I order Shakeology in France?
While Beachbody is now in France offering products and having people sign up as Beachbody Coaches, Shakeology is not yet available for purchase as of September 2020.
Beachbody is working on offering Shakeology in France, but it may take a while.