Weight loss, while simple in theory, can get complicated because of the many conflicting ideas about how losing weight works. Superfood powders have been touted as a magical weight loss potions, but is that true? And if it is true, what is the best superfood powder for weight loss?
The best superfood powder for weight loss is Beachbody Shakeology because it includes: Protein, Superfruits & Antioxidants, Prebiotics & Probiotics, Adaptogens, Supergreens & Phytonutrients, and Vitamins & Minerals. Other recommendations include: SuperGreen Tonik, Ample Meal, and MacroLife shakes.
To lose weight, superfood powders need to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet. Before you use them for weight loss, let’s review what to look for and how to get the best value and nutrition for your money.
Why Use Superfood Powder for Weight Loss?
When your body is not operating at peak efficiency or doesn’t have the correct nutrients to fuel your cells, your body will not let go of the weight very quickly. It’s as if your body is protesting against poor nutrition by not burning fat. Inadequate nutrition doesn’t feed your cells the nutrition they need, so they try getting nutrition from whatever food they can find, including body fat.
Superfood powder feeds your cells and sends a message to your body that it is getting nourished. When you provide your body with proper nutrition, it has the right materials to rebuild itself and create new energy and focus.
Most superfood powders contain the following ingredients that provide an extra boost of nutrition to your cells:
- Spinach and kale
- Wheatgrass and barley
- Fruits, like acai and goji berry
- Chia seeds
- Bee pollen
- Cacao powder
Many of those ingredients either aid in digestion to help you lose weight or boosts your immune system with antioxidants.
When people don’t feel their best, they tend to eat unhealthy foods deemed “comfort foods.” These foods don’t offer the essential nutrition for the calories, and when you eat them, you may start feeling worse. That’s how weight gain begins.
Plus, the more you replace carb-heavy foods with vegetables and superfoods, the more you’ll be able to increase your health and weight loss potential.
How Does Superfood Powder Work for Weight Loss?
The snacking urge is powerful when you don’t have a healthy diet, which is mainly due to your body crying out for nutrients that it needs desperately. So, with a diet that lacks many vitamins or minerals, you are more likely to put on weight because you will seek things that fill the need your body is crying for.
While superfood powders have not been shown to help you lose weight, per se, it does “support the link between gut bacteria and how we store body fat.” The probiotics found in almost all of the superfood powders on the market support the good bacteria in your gut, which controls your immune system and the hunger signal, or leptin. So, in a sense, when you consume a superfood powder, you are taking control of your appetite.
Good nutrition equals appetite control, so if you are craving sweets, for example, your body is more than likely crying out for more calories or even magnesium. It could also be that you need more sleep.
Or, if you are craving ice cream, you might need more healthy fats in your diet.
Superfood powders hit on all of those nutritional needs, except for extra sleep, and helps you curb your appetite and lose weight.
And, if you are not eating a lot of junk food, your sleep cycles will get better, helping you fight cravings a little easier. As you might have heard, when you’re tired, you don’t have proper craving control.
Taking superfood powders gives you the benefit of the following nutrients:
- Probiotics for gut health
- Grass-fed whey protein for strong muscles
- Collagen for healthy skin, hair, and nails
- Super Greens like spinach, kale, broccoli, and seaweed for a boost of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins to fuel your immune system
- Superfruits like acai, goji berries, and blueberries to further boost your immune system
- Fiber like flaxseed and psyllium husk to improve your digestion
While using superfood powders exclusively for weight loss is not recommended, it can be a healthy addition to a well-balanced diet.
How Do You Use Superfood Powders for Weight Loss?
Along with the enhanced nutrition of the superfoods used to make the powder, it also needs a healthy amount of fiber, protein, and fats. Most superfood powders have probiotics and fiber for proper digestion, protein for rebuilding muscle and tissue, and essential fatty acids for brain growth, development, and maintenance.
However, there are some ingredients you need to avoid in your superfood powder that might hinder your weight loss effort. Among those ingredients are artificial sweeteners. The reason for this is that when you taste something sweet, your body anticipates a high-calorie food and produces insulin in response to the sugar.
Instead, very few calories enter your body, but your insulin is elevated in anticipation of the sugar. Your body then stores more fat in response to the elevated insulin, which is when weight gain occurs.
Here are some other ingredients that you need to avoid to give your body a fighting chance to lose weight:
- Artificial flavors and colors
- Artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, aspartame, and acesulfame potassium.
- Dextrin, which is another sugar-like sweetener
- Additional fillers like soy or inulin
- Gluten, which can cause a reaction in some people.
Now, let’s talk about what superfood powders need for weight loss.
- Leafy greens
- Grasses, like barley, wheatgrass, and seaweed
- A protein source like grass-fed whey, egg white, or pea protein
- Fibrous foods like oat fiber or flaxseed
- Spirulina and chlorella
- A blend of exotic mushrooms
- Healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil
When you have a healthy blend of superfoods, and you drink it regularly in place of highly processed foods, you have a better chance of losing weight because you are doing two things:
- You are cutting calories while still getting proper nutrition.
- You are consuming high-quality nutrition that feeds every part of your body.
For maximum benefits, consuming at least one serving daily will help cut calories and get your body at peak operating efficiency to help you lose weight.
While there are several superfood powder brands to choose from, only five meet the criteria for healthy superfood powders. Some superfood powders have protein and healthy fats to keep you satisfied, while other powders have only greens, fruits, and fiber blends.
Best Superfood Powder for Weight Loss
Here is a list the best superfood powders that can help you with weight loss:
- SuperGreen Tonik
- Ample Meal Replacement Shake
- MacroLife Macro Greens
- MacroLife Macro Meal
While Shakeology is not a “diet shake,” it has played a part in several people’s weight loss success. It is lower in calories than other meal replacement shakes, so the Beachbody company advises people not to replace more than two meals per day and use it in conjunction with a healthy diet.
The proprietary blend of ingredients includes weight loss inducing ingredients from several categories, including super greens and probiotics.
Probiotics & Digestive Enzymes Blend
As mentioned earlier, probiotics help improve your gut bacteria, helping your body know when and where to store body fat. The digestive enzymes also help keep you healthy and things running smoothly.
Their blend includes:
- Chicory root
- Yacon root
- Bacillus coagulans
Adaptogens are herbs and plants that help reduce stress in your body, boost your immune system, and soothes your nervous system. The benefit of these herbs and plants on weight loss is that you eat less when you are less stressed because you don’t need the comfort foods that can pack on the weight.
The adaptogen blend includes:
- Maca root
Super Greens Blend
Great nutrition provides your body with the vitamins and minerals you need for good health. A healthy body means that you won’t crave as many processed food items from the vending machine, and you will lose weight with fewer calories and more nutrients.
The Shakeology super greens blend includes:
As with the super greens blend, good health comes with antioxidants that boost your immune system. When you feel good, you are more likely to make healthy food choices over junk food, and those choices will help you lose weight.
- Acerola Cherries
- Goji Berry
- Green Tea
- Monk Fruit
- Vitamins A, C, and E
The right protein blend can make or break your weight loss journey, and if you don’t have the right type of protein or the right amount, you won’t lose weight as easily. Protein is responsible for building lean muscle, which burns fat.
They use the following protein blend:
- Whey (Vegan option also available)
- Sacha Inchi
Learn more about Shakeology from the video below:
2. SuperGreen Tonik
SuperGreen Tonik is essentially a multivitamin in liquid form, with a few extra ingredients to make it a superfood. While it doesn’t have a protein source, it contains a super greens blend, an adaptogenic blend to reduce your stress levels, boost your brain function, and improve your sleep patterns.
The other ingredients are there to boost your immune system and keep your thyroid function going strong.
What is the taste like? Some describe it as a minty flavor, while others use it in a shake recipe that includes other ingredients like almond butter and cinnamon.
SuperGreen Tonik is considered a Super Greens powder and not a meal replacement. It’s therefore a great supplement to a healthy diet. However, it will not keep feeling full like Shakeology, Ample Meal Replacement, MacroLife MacroMeal will.
Additionally, SuperGreen Tonik may be the only super greens powder that shows how much of every ingredient you’re getting with every serving, thus being overly transparent with their ingredients.
3. Ample Meal Replacement Shake
The Ample meal replacement shake is slightly different from the other super greens powders in that it contains protein, fiber, carbohydrates, and fats in addition to the superfoods blends. Many people use this shake to replace a meal, and because it has more calories per serving, it does work to keep people full for longer periods.
The meal replacement shake can fill a gap in your routine when you’re tempted by highly processed foods that sabotage your weight loss efforts.
Ample’s ingredients that help you lose weight include:
- A high protein blend that includes grass-fed whey concentrate, grass-fed hydrolyzed collagen, and pea protein.
- High-quality fats like coconut oil and macadamia nut oil.
- A healthy carbohydrate blend that includes sweet potatoes, oats, chicory root fiber, and psyllium husk.
- A probiotic blend that contains six strains and four billion CFUs.
- Superfood blend of green banana powder, wheatgrass, barley, and chlorella.
- Organic flavorings and a vitamin and mineral blend round out the nutritional components of the shake.
4. MacroLife Macro Greens
Macro Greens is an antioxidant blend that sticks to the antioxidant and nutritional components that contribute to your overall well-being and health. As you boost your immune system and energy levels, you will make better choices to keep you on your weight loss journey. The proprietary blend contains fiber, probiotics, and a mix of superfruits and vegetables.
Again, the Macro Greens powder will boost your health and immune system and help you lose weight. These ingredients include, but are not limited to:
- Barley grass and spirulina powder
- Five different strains of probiotic enzymes
- Acerola, milk thistle, and green tea powders
- Herbs and berries like goji berries and ashwagandha
- Fibers like flaxseed meal and apple pectin
- Support herbs that include aloe vera leaf and watercress
Both, MacroLife Macro Greens and SuperGreen Tonik are not meal replacement shakes. However, these two made the list because of their powerful superfoods that they use. With SuperGreen Tonik being my personal favorite of the two.
5. MacroLife Naturals MacroMeal
Made by the same company as Macro Greens, the MacroMeal contains many of the same ingredients, but additional ingredients include:
- Protein sources for both their vegan and Omni lines include either pea and brown rice protein or collagen and whey protein.
- Coconut oil powder adds that extra boost of Medium Chain triglycerides (MCTs) that helps you lose weight.
- Natural flavorings that make the shake pleasurable to drink.
This superfood powder can be used as a meal replacement shake when you don’t have time for a meal or trying to cut calories but still keep your nutrition levels even. The protein blend is a time-released blend that keeps you satisfied longer, so your snack cravings are more manageable.
Fiber and healthy fats also keep your hunger levels down to have more control over your appetite. It is this point that will help you lose weight.
When Should You Use Superfood Powders?
Most advice found online about when to use superfood powder suggests that first thing in the morning when you wake up is the best time because that is when your body is more efficient and needs the most nutrition. A superfood smoothie or protein shake first thing in the morning for breakfast will give you enough nutrition to get started, and with protein and healthy fats, you won’t be hungry until lunchtime.
However, other advice suggests that you can use superfood powder whenever you like because it doesn’t matter when you get it, as long as you get it. A superfood shake for lunch or supper will give you just as much nutrition as having it for breakfast. You could even make it for a snack instead of some random junk food.
Superfood powders are a convenient way to get additional nutrition to your diet, so taking it whenever you feel is the best time for you should be fine.
How to Benefit from Superfoods on a Budget
While we recommend the above superfood powder brands, we recognize that not everyone can afford them on a minimal budget. However, we also believe that everyone can benefit from superfood powders in their diet.
Superfoods have a higher concentration of nutrients per calorie than other foods, so they are considered superfoods. Spinach, for example, has over 2,800 international units of Vitamin A per cup.
If you have a limited budget, you can still reap the superfood benefits from the following foods:
- Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, kale, Swiss chard, collard greens, and turnip greens.
- Green tea, which contains strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- Berries are full of antioxidant compounds and include raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, acai berries, and goji berries.
- Nuts and seeds like chia seeds and macadamia nuts.
- Eggs are nutritional powerhouses, as they contain protein, fat, and choline in one small package.
- Ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and other spices are very anti-inflammatory and can boost your immune system.
- Salmon is full of vitamin B, healthy fats like Omega-3, and potassium.
Other foods are packed with vitamins and minerals and the essential fatty acids you need for good health.
If you can’t afford a superfood powder, you can make a superfood shake with leafy greens, berries, and a decent whey protein powder, along with coconut oil and some spices. You will get the same benefits of the superfood powder at a fraction of the price.
And there you have it–a review of the top five superfood powders that can help you lose weight. However, no food, shake, or supplement is a magic cure for weight loss. Losing weight is a process that includes exercise, a well-balanced diet, and a commitment to your health and longevity.
Paired with intermittent fasting, you will be able to boost your weight-loss ability.
- Have a well-balanced diet with correct portions.
- Get a little exercise now and then.
- Drink a superfood powder once a day.
- Couple it with intermittent fasting to allow your body to burn fat more effectively.
- Livestrong: How to Lose Weight With Amazing Grass Superfoods
- Healthy Chef: Superfood Powders: What You Need to Know
- Avocadu: 10 Superfood Powders That Can Boost Weight Loss
- Freshcap: What to Look For In a Superfood Powder
- Center For Disease Control: Disparities in State-Specific Adult Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- One Green Planet: Top 3 Superfoods to Choose If You’re On a Budget
- Lean Greens: 13 Reasons You’re Ready for Supergreens
- Healthline: 16 Superfoods That Are Worthy of the Title
- Medical News Today: Health Benefits and Nutritional Value of Spinach
- Byrdie: Decoding Your Food Cravings: Here’s What They Mean and How to Deal